Wednesday, April 1, 2009

The Sandwich




At Trinity University, the options for eating at the dining halls are extremely limited, you may not realize this but wheat is an incredibly common ingredient being used as a preservative and a thickener in many foods. Anyways, I have been noticing some side effects of eating gluten again and needed to find out what was effecting me. After exhausting myself talking to the dining halls and experimenting with different foods I was getting inconclusive results. As mentioned earlier my limited diet forces me to improvise to feed myself and I frequently ask my mother to send me a type of bread that is gluten free, its very similar to regular bread except it crumbles more easily because of the absence of gluten. When I ask the people in the sandwich line to make me a sandwich they have to change their gloves to avoid contamination. Also, if I want it toasted I previously asked them to place the sandwich on a grate and send it through the toaster. I hadn't got one toasted for a while and yesterday I did get it toasted and got a ton of heart burn. I will not be able to toast my sandwiches from now on because of the seemingly large amount of gluten contained in that toaster. I don't mind to much because eating right makes me feel better but having so many setbacks is frustrating.

No comments:

Post a Comment