Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Beer!


When I first learned about Celiac disease and that I may have it, I knew that if I did I would not be able to drink beer ever again. I'm not the type of person to get hung up about bad things happening and I was not overly upset about my limited dietary choices. But one thing that really got to me was the fact that I could no longer drink beer. Beer is by and large the best type of alcohol because of its taste and safety compared to hard liquor. So I stopped drinking beer for a while until I came home for Thanksgiving break. Before break, my dad, who is also a celiac, discoverd a gluten free beer and went to the local liquor store and bought some. When he picked me up from the airport he told me all about it and I was very excited. Its called Red Bridge and it is made from sorgum instead of wheat. Sorgum is a grain that does not contain gluten and is similar enough to wheat that brewing is possible. We got home and I asked my mother if I could have one. She said "you may but I'm not sure your uncle (who was staying with us) would approve." I decided that my uncles trust was worth the wait. Eventually I aquired my own gluten free beer. Red Bridge is actually manufactured by Anheuser Busch so it is not overly hard to find. Gluten Free beer is just one thing that makes being a celiac easier not to mention it tastes pretty good too.

No comments:

Post a Comment