Tuesday, March 3, 2009

What is Gluten Free?


Some of you may be wondering, what is gluten free?  So I will start my blog by telling you a little bit about it.  At the beginning of last semester my family and I were diagnosed with Celiac disease.  Celiac disease is a genetic disorder that makes it impossible to digest Gluten, a protein found it wheat and other grains.  When a celiac ingests gluten, the gluten molecules tear up the small intestine, making absorption of nutrients into the body very hard.  Many people are effected by this malabsorption in different ways (there are over 200 symptoms) making diagnosis very difficult.  Celiac disease is a life long disorder and the only cure for these symptoms is to eat Gluten Free.  For the past semester and a half, that is what I have been doing to help heal my intestine and recover.  This blog is an account of my Gluten Free life at Trinity.

No comments:

Post a Comment